Do you have a great voice? Do people always compliment you whenever they hear you speak?
Are you looking for a way to make extra money on your free time from the comfort of your home or wants to start a side hustle?
Luckily for you, I got that covered.
If you can read, you can get paid to read a book as a narrator.
Here is how to get paid to read a book as a narrator
There are hundreds and thousands of books that are published daily and these publishers are looking for narrators to convert their books to audio.
One of the websites that can pay you to read is acx.com and here is how it works
Select yourself as a “Narrator”
- Sign up with acx.com and create a profile: This profile should be able to give details of your experience in acting and audiobook
- Upload some of your samples based on accents, genre, and styles. Having enough sample can get you more gigs
- Choose how you want to get paid. Do you want a per-finished-hour rate, to share 50% of royalties or do you want both?
- Search for books you are interested in narrating and prepare a few minutes recording of the manuscript and if you are their top choice, they will make you an offer
- Accept the offer. Agree on a delivery date for the first 15 minutes of the audio and the final audiobook and payment terms
- Start recording. Record, edit and upload the 15 minutes checkpoint of the audiobook, which the right holder will approve or provide feedback before you proceed. When the sample is approved, record the remaining project
- Get paid directly and come back for more
I don’t have a good voice for narration, how can I become one?
Well been a Narrator is not rocket science. You do not need to know how to do a voice-over before you can make money as a narrator online.
The most important thing you need is the passion and the zeal to become a Narrator /Voice Over Artist, then head over to YouTube and find tutorials on how to do voice over or narration.
ACX has tutorials on how to get paid to read a book online
Those videos are from professional voice over artist and they will give you all the information you need to start as a Voice Over Artist
Aside from learning how to do voice over/narration, you need to also get some equipment you will need for your voice over because special equipment works better and will assure you more gigs.
When it comes to this business, quality matters a lot and without the right equipment and tools, it will be difficult to produce quality audio.
It is important also to create a mini studio that is dedicated to helping you get paid to read a book online. The following are things to keep in mind when creating a home studio.
- A quiet place (isolation from noise)
- No background noise
Some of that equipment you will be needing are listed below
PC Condenser Microphone
Studio Sound Proof foam
This will help in reducing or eliminating sound from the background when you are recording your audio
Studio Light Kit
Mini Studio Kit
This mini studio kit is a one fit all you can start with. If and when you make enough money, you can always upgrade to a bigger one
This cable will help in connecting your microphone to audio interface
Audacity is a free open source software for recording and editing your audio.
You can download the software here
This post may contain affiliate links, and that means we may receive a tiny commission if you make a purchase through our links at no cost to you. Please read our full disclosure here.